Everyday can be My Mental Health Day. Of course we have responsibilities, work, and other chores to take care of but it’s important to take time for ourselves each day, even if it is only a moment or two. Why? Because our ability to reduce stress, prevent anxiety, and live life in a way that makes us happy depends on supporting our mental health. And, the best way to do that is to take time for ourselves doing the things we love. Our days are so jammed-pack with everything we NEED to do that taking a break for a mere five minutes can seem easier said than done.
So start with the little things: drink a cup of your favorite tea while you are typing away on the computer or sing along to your favorite song while driving home from work. Even though you are accomplishing what you NEED to do, you are still giving yourself a little mental health moment by doing something for you at the same time.
There are several proven ways to support your mental health. Make taking care of yourself a habit by participating in one of the following each day.
- Connect with others: Call an old friend or go on a date with your significant other.
- Create joy and satisfaction: Tell a silly joke or take your kids for ice cream cones.
- Manage hard times: Read a magazine, listen to music, reach out to family for comfort—whatever it may be that helps you through the rough parts of your day.
- Help Others: Help a friend move across town or volunteer at your local animal shelter.
- Do a hobby or relax: Paint a picture, play baseball, knit, or take music lessons.
- Eat well: Junk food can cause stress and sleepiness. Remember to eat your fruits and vegetables.
- Stay positive: Although times may be hard, focus on what you have rather than what went wrong. Try keeping a gratitude log and remember to tell people how much they mean to you.
- Get physically active: Take care of your physical wellness by exercising (yoga, biking, running).
- Take care of your spirit: Meditate or pray, whatever makes you feel more at peace.
- Get enough sleep: You’re a lot more relaxed and even productive when you don’t skip out on the sleep your mind and body require.
- Get professional help when needed: Don’t be afraid to talk about your feelings or needs. Reach out for help. No one can do everything by themselves.
How do you support your mental health? Share your ideas with us on Facebook and help others find something that may work for them. Go, play, and enjoy the day because today is your “My Mental Health Day!”